CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Love Songs

Ok. I am setting myself up for some serious ridicule here, but I'm moving forward anyway...

I love 1980s and early 1990s love songs. I don't know what it is. It might just be that I played a lot of them on the piano for wedding receptions. It might just be the memories of stake dances. It might just be that my good friend Jeremy and I would sing duets together whenever we got a chance in South Africa. Whatever it is, they just make me feel all warm and bubbly inside. The song you are hearing right now came on the radio while I was all alone in the Cedar City store. I cranked it up full volume, surely annoying the quilting store to my right and the cafe to my left. It got me thinking, what other love songs from this period do I enjoy the most? I would have to say my all time favorite is probably "I'll Be There" by The Escape Club. I also love "Please Don't Go" by Boyz II Men. Other favorites include "Lady in Red" by Chris De Burgh, "Forever Young" by Alphaville, "Alone" by Heart, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler, and "One Last Cry" by Brian McKnight. I could go on and on.

Feel free to comment on your favorite love songs from this period. I am curious to know if anyone loves them as much as I do. Also, feel free to call me a nerd or any other names you can think of.

9 comments:

Richie said...

As you know, "Alone" has my heart.

Hope your babies are doing well! (Wow, it's fun to say that in the plural form)

meohmyers said...

Awww. Love songs from the late 80s and early 90s. So nostalgic! This showed quite the sensitive side to you, Chris. Isn't it funny how music can take you back?

I'd have to add "Every Breath You Take" by the Police to this list. Also, "Open Arms" by Journey. Oh, the memories.

Chris said...

How could I forget "Open Arms?"

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

This post brought tears to my eyes (and to Jeff's from laughter!!) One day, when he's almost 40 he'll be doing the same thing! I have to vote for "Heaven" from Bryan Adams and "you're the inspiration" from Chicago. And I say anything from Journey (my dying wish is to see Journey reunited).

By the way, Drew's been hitting guitar hero all these snow days and said to tell you he beat hard today too!

Chris said...

Nice work Drew! I only have 7 songs left on expert. I think I'm stuck though. I don't ever see myself passing those last 7 songs.

"Heaven" is a classic Julie. How could I forget all of those Chicago songs too?

meohmyers said...

I have this blog in the back of my head at all times now, trying to think of my favorite love songs from this era. I have to add:

No one is to blame - Howard Jones
Somebody - Depeche Mode
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
I was also going to say anything by Chicago
And a few by Thompson Twins that I can't think of the titles.

Thanks for this. I can't stop thinking of them!!

Scott Blog said...

Oh those were good times. I still remember singing the Phantom and Les Miserable songs as well. You named some great ones. The one you have playing on your site is great. There is something about "The Wedding Singer" that I like so much and I think much of it is because of the music that takes me back. From the beginning of your blog I thought of two of my top ones, "Forever Young" and "I'll Be There" right off the bat and you named them both. There were always those songs that made me say "holy crap I love this song I gotta find a chick to dance with. "Wicked Game" (1989) by Chris Isaak was one of those songs. Sweet topic. There are tons of those songs out there.

Chris said...

Jeremy,
I was a little too embarrassed to mention our favorite duet song, but now I'm going to throw it out there for all to see..."Hold On" by Wilson Phillips. We got so good at that song, people would make requests for live performances.

Scott Blog said...

I can just hear it in my head right now "Oh things will go your way, hold on for one more daaay". We were magic together on the stage. Someday we have to have a reunion tour.