CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Young Lady, Get Out of Here

I finally have some time this morning to post this funny story:

We have a nursing home in our ward boundaries called The Beehive Home. Every Sunday from 1pm to about 1:30pm, members from our ward go over to the home and do a little sacrament meeting for the residents. Once a month, the Elders Quorum is assigned to do the talk and the prayers. As the Elders Quorum secretary, it is my job to find people to fulfill these responsibilities. Let me just say that it is probably easier to conjugate Finnish verbs with a gun to your head than it is to find someone from the Elders Quorum to give a 5 minute talk or a prayer at The Beehive Home. Needless to say, the talk assignment is often fulfilled by yours truly. A few times, I have had to ask Kim to come with me and say one of the prayers. This was the case last Sunday on August 31st. Wherever Kim and I are, there's an Owen and a Rhett also. The residents absolutely love when kids come to visit, so Rhett got pretty excited with all of the attention he was receiving. It was time for the meeting to start, but Rhett was still juiced up with excitement. He was squealing like a little porker getting chased in a Greased Pig Scramble. Kim handed Rhett to me so she could say the opening prayer. That was alright. Then it was time for the sacrament. Rhett was getting louder. Then it was time for me to give my talk. Rhett was full-squeal volume now. Kim took Rhett into one of the back hallways to no avail. I was about 2 minutes into my talk when one of the residents raised her hand. I thought, "Oh how precious. This little old lady has a question about some deep point of doctrine. Why not? Let's see what she has to say." So I acknowledged her and said, "Yes?" Little old woman answered angrily, "There is a young lady here with a baby who is making a lot of noise. You are up there going through the motions but I can't hear a word you are saying. Can someone please tell that young lady to leave?" I stood there with my mouth open as the other members of the ward tried to hold back their giggling. I looked over at Kim and said, "Young lady, get out of here!" By now, everyone in the room was laughing except the angry old woman. Kim took Owen and Rhett outside and sat on a bench where Rhett could squeal to his heart's content. I finished my talk, we had a closing song and prayer, and then I went outside with Kim where we were bombarded with apologies from various residents and members of the ward. We weren't offended at all, so it was funny that we were getting so many apologies. It turns out that the angry old woman suffers from dementia.

So long story short, I kicked my family out of a church meeting. I can't wait to go back and see what happens next time.

10 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

That is hilarious! I love that you just looked at Kim and kicked her out. Angry old women make me laugh.

meohmyers said...

This is so funny. I'm glad Kim didn't have hurt feelings and you guys were able to laugh about it. We were in charge of a Sacrament meeting at the nursing home over here not too long ago and it is a little awwwwwkward. I hope I never end up an old angry woman!

meohmyers said...

PS. Did you know Jeff our nephew started a blog? You'll have to check it out.

meohmyers said...

http://jeffdiaries.blogspot.com/

YouHaveHowMany? said...

Hello Chris and Kim!! I just found your blog, hope you don't mind! :) GREAT story! I miss you guys!
Martin & Rebecca

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Oh I was laughing out loud!!! I can picture several of our old ladies saying this. But I liked your response the best. I mean you have to take advantage of the one and only time you can legally tell your wife to get out!

Courtney said...

haha! I would be so embarassed! I'm glad none of the other members were annoyed! poor kimmie...

HIRSCHI FAMILY said...

Funny! It's funny how the older generations either love babies and there noises or they don't understand them!

ganelle said...

Love it! I'll tell ya, there are some Sunday's I WISH that I could get kicked out of church!

Brittany said...

I can't wait to get old, so I can do crazy things like that and everyone will think I am just old and excuse it!