CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Powells Went Down to Georgia

To my one or two faithful readers who are not family...bear with me on this one. It might be kind of long and boring for you. To my family members, I hope this post stirs up some nostalgia.

We had a great time down in Georgia during the last week of July. Kim and I hadn't been there since 1999. I'm glad we went down the same time as the Andersons. Owen absolutely loves spending time with his cousins.














The first day was spent exploring Dad's property.















We found a moth the size of Chloe's hand.















Then we found a turtle.
Garrett wanted to hold the turtle.















Walker wanted to hold the turtle.















Chloe wanted to hold the turtle.















Owen wanted to hold the turtle.
(Morgan was probably sleeping.)
(Brock was probably eating.)















That night we met some old friends, the Bolands, at Herb's Fish Restaurant.
(Don't ask me why I didn't get a single picture of any of the Bolands.)















How can you not smile when the smell of fried catfish is in the air?















Earlier that day, Kim, Mindy, and Morgan went shopping. Owen and I scored some cool Georgia Bulldogs hats.















The view behind the restaurant was amazing.















Peeing outside is pretty amazing too.















The next day, I got to go flying with Dad down to Mobile, Alabama.















I was pretty impressed with how effortlessly Dad flew that plane.















He couldn't control the weather though.
We had to avoid some rain clouds.
Motion sickness.
Not fun.















We couldn't land in Mobile soon enough.















After a quick bite at Po' Boys Chinese Palace, we were headed back to Georgia.















Then it was swim...















swim...















swim.

We probably spent as much time in the water as we did on land that week.

Owen is becoming quite the excellent swimmer.















Sunday afternoon, we went to visit Grandmother in the nursing home.
She just turned 99. She doesn't remember anyone anymore, but she seemed to really enjoy being around the kids.















4 generation picture















Uncle Daley and Aunt Mary just happened to show up the same time we were there.















After visiting with Grandmother, we went to Uncle Daley's to ride his 1930s restored tractors.















The kids had a blast.















Luckily, every kid got to ride on every tractor before a bone-rattling thunderstorm rolled through.
(Notice the dreary sky above the scary green-eyed cow.)















Tuesday, we went to Grandmother's house.















Driving up the dirt road brought back many memories.















The house where Dad was born.















I had to get a picture of the tree.















Front porch















Back porch















The pond















After Grandmother's house, we drove down to Warner Robins,the place of my birth. We stopped to put new flowers on Jeff's grave.















It's hard to believe he would be 40 years old. I wonder what he would have thought about his 16 nieces and nephews.















We had to drive by the old house...















...and the old school.



















We wanted to eat at Po' Folks for lunch, but they went out of business.















There are about 100 other pictures I'd like to post, but it is getting late, so I will leave you with this message that was so eloquently put on a billboard on the road to Dad's house.

9 comments:

meohmyers said...

Yay! The Georgia post is up!! Looks like so much fun! I can't wait until we can all plan a trip down at the same time. Maybe in 2 summers? Our old house looks so small! And SHES got a makeover! I'm not surprised that Po' Folks went out of business. That's funny you guys tried to eat there! Did you really get sick on the plane?!? I've never flown with Dad before. That would be fun, too! My entire family is so jealous that we didn't get to go down especially to swim in Dad's pool. You need to make him a book with all these pictures. He would love it! I would love to see more pics! Why didn't you take any pics of the Bolands!?!!?

Chris said...

Kim,

We would love to go to Georgia again. 2 summers sounds good to me. I have more pictures of Shirley Hills. That whole field on the left is now school. It's huge now. I really did get sick on the plane. I can't even spin Owen in circles anymore without feeling sick. I said don't ask me why I didn't take any pictures of the Bolands.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are amazing...sure brought back memories for me...is anyone in Grandmother's house? Loved the pictures of Grandmother and Uncle Daley and Aunt Mary!! Why did you not take pictures of the Bolands? Can I go with you guys in 2 summers??? :)

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Oh I loved all the pictures and especially with the song going in the background. Perfection! Wasn't the porch swing up on grandmothers front porch? I cant believe that big oak tree is still there and alive. It all brought back some wonderful memories. I'm thinking we may have to move our trip up, though. If grandmother turns 100, it would be an occasion to celebrate!

meohmyers said...

Ooooh, great idea, Julie! I forgot her 1-0-0th birthday would be a great time to go visit!! Let's plan on it!

Chris said...

We'll start saving our money.

Chris said...

Julie,
The porch swing was broken.

Scott Blog said...

Chris,

Why the hell didnt you take pictures of the Bolands? &8$#@%^&!! Excuse my language but I am steamed about that.

Chris said...

For the love of all that is sacred and holy...I simply forgot to take pictures of the Bolands!!! I forgot!!! I was too busy snarfing down fried catfish and helping my son pee outside!